AMIS is advertised online and through a variety of websites and apps. Men are currently eligible to participate if they:
- Are at least 15 years old
- Identify as male and were assigned male at birth
- Reside in the United States
- Have a history of oral or anal sex with a man
- Are able to complete the survey in English or Spanish
The data are compared and analyzed to identify trends and changes in responses from year to year. Findings are written up and shared via presentations and academic publications. Additionally, health departments in states and large cities may receive annual state reports or data that they use to plan prevention approaches and develop policies.
Reports and publications distributed for use by researchers, community organizers, and collaborative research partners contain only grouped data and no identifying information are included.